Book Title: The Complete Guide to Tutoring Struggling Readers-Mapping Interventions to Purpose and CCSS
Publisher: Teachers College Press
Author: Peter J. Fisher
- Creating Strategic Readers: Techniques for Supporting Rigorous Literacy Instruction - - Grades K-5
- Basic Reading Inventory: Kindergarten through Grade Twelve and Early Literacy Assessments
- The Howard Street Tutoring Manual, Second Edition: Teaching At-Risk Readers in the Primary Grades
- Understanding, Assessing, and Teaching Reading: A Diagnostic Approach, Enhanced Pearson eText with Loose-Leaf Version -- Access Card Package (7th Edition)
- Assessing Reading Multiple Measures, 2nd Edition
- Partnering for Content Literacy: PRC2 in Action. Developing Academic Language for All Learners
- Literacy Assessment and Intervention for Classroom Teachers
- Strategies That Work, 3rd edition: Teaching Comprehension for Engagement, Understanding, and Building Knowledge, Grades K-8
- Visible Learning for Literacy, Grades K-12: Implementing the Practices That Work Best to Accelerate Student Learning (Corwin Literacy)
- Reading Diagnosis for Teachers: An Instructional Approach (6th Edition)
''If you are looking for a book that translates research and theory into practical and effective interventions for struggling readers, please consider The Complete Guide to Tutoring Struggling Readers
. The authors have done a masterful job of guiding teachers in developing reading interventions that are authentic, engaging, aligned to current standards as well as the instructional needs of students, and based on state-of-the-art knowledge of reading instruction.''
-- Timothy Rasinski, professor of Literacy Education, Kent State University
''This book is the outgrowth of years of developing and fine-tuning tutoring models that have helped thousands of students become capable and engaged readers. The authors share a deep understanding of research on literacy intervention, along with a wealth of experience in translating this into effective, and reflective, practice. The Complete Guide to Tutoring Struggling Readers
is a must for every educator who works with or designs programs for struggling readers.''
-- Camille Blachowicz, co-director, The Reading Leadership Institute, professor emeritus, National College of Education, National Louis University
This authoritative, easy-to-use guide will help educators plan and implement intervention lessons for struggling readers that align with the English Language Arts Common Core State Standards. All three authors run successful summer reading programs and supervise tutors who are becoming reading specialists. In this comprehensive resource, they offer hands-on guidance for designing interventions across grades K 8, provide sample tutoring plans and lessons, and describe procedures for teaching print skills, comprehension, vocabulary, fluency, and study skills. Including many user-friendly features, this book will help both new and experienced reading specialists ramp up instruction to assist all students in meeting the new standards.
* A powerful set of field-tested tutoring activities for use with individual students and small groups.
* Student Profiles that include a matrix that matches interventions to the CCSS.
* Adaptable examples of how particular methods have been used with students of varying ability and needs.
* Discussion Questions and Things to Think About at the end of each chapter.
* And much more!